Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I Never Planned to be an Addict,but it Happened

I stumbled across a success story from our 2005 newsletter from the perspective of one of our former clients, Larry. He still stops by the mission to visit or volunteer regularly. I thought I'd share his testimony again:
You don't know it, but you saved my life...I'm Larry.

Grandmother raised 16 grandchildren, including me. At 12 she put me out on the street. Terrified, I went to a cousin involved with drugs. I used the first time that night. Over the next 20 years I went from rags to riches to rags. I lost businesses, property and family. The souvenir of my youth is a gunshot wound.

I found God in prison, and truly believe he led me to Charlotte Rescue Mission. I went to the bus station in Louisiana and prayed. Strangers came the first 3 days with food, or to pray. On the 4th day no one came. Hungry and tired, I found a 5 dollar bill on the ground. I bought something to eat and gave what was left to 2 ladies who also were in need. That moment everything changed.

Within minutes a stranger gave me $12.00. It would not be enough to get me to Charlotte, but it was a start. Moments later the Manager called me to "hurry!" SHE had gotten me a ticket.

I got to Charlotte and went straight to the Mission. I had $12.00,the clothes on my back, and my bible. They took me in, fed me clothed me. I worked with counselors to get to the root of my addiction. Not once did anyone ask me for a dime. Charlotte is now my home. I am proud to be a tax payer again, and your generous gifts to Charlotte Rescue Mission made that possible. You changed my life, and I cannot thank you enough.

No comments: