Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mother's Day For Dove's Nest Clients

May is the month we celebrate Mother’s Day. Unfortunately, the women at our Dove’s Nest program do not celebrate the holiday the way that you and I do. Instead, they see themselves as failures – both as mothers and as wives.

One woman came into our program just after Thanksgiving. In her own words she said, “I was dead when I walked through the doors of the Charlotte Rescue Mission Dove’s Nest program”. Days before completing the 4 month program, I asked her what was the longest period of time she had been clean and sober, she looked at me and said, “The 4 months I have been at Dove’s Nest”.

As we celebrate this month of listening to children say to their mothers, “I’m glad to have you as mine”, know that there are hundreds of women who will hear those words because so many supporters cared.

No comments: